Spinal Cord Injury Prevention Tips
Tips for preventing spinal cord injuries:
- Always wear a seat belt. Secure or buckle children into age and weight-appropriate child safety seats.
- Do not ride in a car with a driver who is impaired by alcohol or drugs.
- Always wear a helmet when riding a bike, motorcycle, scooter or skateboard, in-line skating and roller-skating and horseback riding.
- Make sure the water is deep enough before you go in headfirst. Entering feet first is safer than diving.
- Place non-slip mats and install grab bars in your bathtub.
- Secure banisters and handrails on your stairwell, and use safety gates at the bottom and top of the stairs when young children are around.
Source: The Darrell Gwynn Foundation
Posted on December 28th, 2006 in General SCI and Human Interest.