Spinal Cord Injuries by the Numbers
- Between 222,000 and 285,000 Americans are living with spinal cord injuries.
- 11,000 new cases occur each year.
- 85 percent of spinal cord patients who survive the first 24 hours are still alive 10 years later.
- 38 years is the average age at injury.
- 78.2 percent of spinal cord injuries since 2000 have occurred among males.
- 44 percent of spinal cord injuries are caused by motor vehicle crashes.
- 88.3 percent of all people with spinal cord injuries live in private homes.
- 15 is the average number of days spent in a hospital with a spinal cord injury.
- $682,957 is the average first-year cost for a severe spinal cord injury.
Posted on March 31st, 2005 in General SCI and Human Interest.